By Peter Underwood
No one took the prize this time! Check out the answers below…
With the middle school sports competitions fast approaching (or already over) across the prefecture, I’ve been thinking about school sports back in England – i.e. no big competitions, only occasional weekend matches and silly sports days, with egg and spoon and three-legged races. “Japan can seem pretty wacky at times”, I thought, “I wonder what kind of contests Japan has scattered around.”
Japan, as always, did not disappoint.
Here are the two wonderful prizes you can try for:
1)￥1000 Starbucks gift card
2) Mysterious Mystery Box of Mysterious Mystery! Tell us what kind of stuff you’re into, and place your faith in me to deliver a worthy prize. It could be anything–even a ￥1000 Starbucks gift card!
- Which yearly contest/festival is won by whoever cries the loudest?
- Nakizumo – Sumo Wrestlers make babies cry
- Which contest had a news report that read “The Spirit of Rice won 2 to 1”?
- Hitorizumo – in Ehime, a single sumo wrestler fights against a god for the good of the harvest.
- Which 2016 contest, aimed at improving things before Tokyo 2020, awarded ￥100,000 to its winners after they participated in an 8 minute role play situation?
- A Customer Service Tournament
As always, use any means necessary to find the answers to the questions. Send your answers to firstname.lastname@example.org. Answers are due by Monday 14th August! The winner will be announced in the September Vol. 1 issue of Good Morning Aomori.
Do you have any interesting trivia or facts you want to share with the Aomori crowd? If your trivia is chosen, you’re automatically entered into the prize drawing! E-mail us at email@example.com